Laurie House, Colyear street, Derby, DE1 1JY

Who Can Claim


Please check your details before you submit this form. By submitting your details you confirm your agreement to our privacy policy

Who Can Make a Housing Disrepair Claim?

Landlords are under obligation by law to ensure that your home is safe and in good condition. This means that the landlord is required to keep the structure and exterior of the house in good repair and ensure the proper functioning of installations for the supply of water, sanitation, electricity, gas, and space heating. If you are a tenant and your landlord fails in this regard, you may be able to make a housing disrepair claim.

What Do I Need to Do to Make a Housing Disrepair Claim?

Can I Make a Claim if I Live in Council Housing?

Yes. It is the responsibility of your local council or local authority to ensure that your property is safe and in good living condition. So, whether you live in a flat or a house, or your rent came through a private landlord or social housing, your landlord has a duty of care towards you and your rented property and can be held accountable for housing disrepair claims.

Can I Make a Claim for Damp/Mould in My House?

If the damp or mould is a result of disrepair problems and has caused you to suffer any inconvenience, then you could be entitled to make a claim. If the damp in your rented property was due to bad ventilation caused by broken windows, faulty heating, or broken extractor fans and your landlord has failed to fix those issues after reporting them, you could have valid grounds to claim housing disrepair compensation from your landlord. However, your claim be more complex if the damp was caused by something you did such as failing to use extractor fans.

What Can I Claim For?

If you have been a victim of housing disrepair problems in your rented property, you can make compensation claims if:

You can also make a housing disrepair compensation claim if you have been unable to use your house in the way you should due to the disrepair issues. Our housing disrepair solicitors will help you take advantage of your tenancy rights to seek compensation for any losses incurred and ensure your landlord is accountable for his actions.

How Much Can I Claim for Housing Disrepair Problems?

It is impossible to provide an exact compensation amount you can expect, as every claim is unique. The amount you can expect will largely depend on the severity of the disrepair issue, the number of rooms affected by the problem, the level of damage to your belongings, and the impact of the disrepair on your health.


No Win No Fee Housing Disrepair Solicitors

When you contact us, our best housing disrepair solicitors will assess your case and let you know if you have valid grounds for making a disrepair claim. If we believe you do, we will handle your case on a No Win No Fee basis, also known as a Conditional Fee Agreement. Under this arrangement, you will be financially protected because you wouldn’t have to pay us any legal fees if we do not win your case.

Get in Touch With Us

With a strong track record and experience in helping several tenants make housing disrepair claims against their landlords, we are your best bet. Our solicitors will walk you through every step of the way and do everything to ensure the repair issues in your home are fixed to the standard you deserve and help you fight for compensation.

For FREE Housing Advice, Call

0161 393 7804